Monday, December 7, 2009

Books and Movies

I love books...i mean i REALLY love books. There isnt much I love more than taking a good book into a hot bath and reading until it is devoured and I have consumed the complete emotional journey of the characters.

I loved the Twilight books, and the second movie was wonderful. I loved the Harry Potter books, and the movies were hit and miss - some amazing, some not so much.

One of my favorite books was Ken Follett's 'Pillars of the Earth'. I loved it so much, and just learned that they are turning it into a mini series (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091207/ap_en_ot/eu_hungary_pillars_of_the_earth) I am so excited. I always love to see if a movie director takes what is so vivid in my imagination and brings it to life in a way I expect.

Some books should probably never be made into a movie. I loved the book 'The Life of Pi' but it wouldnt make a very good movie - it would be too much of a horror film. I loved the book 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', but I am not certain that would work in film either. The emotional and physical treatment wouldnt read as well in the starkness of the visual only. They both rely on being inside of the protagonist's head to have a true appreciation.

I am sure the fans of the Gone with the Wind book wondered how any movie could do it justice, or The Thorn Birds, or North and South. ...but justice was done in all instances and I look forward to seeing 'Pillars' brought to life in film.

No comments:

Post a Comment